Pathways palliative care program provides case management support and services to Independent Health Medicare Advantage, Univera and most Senior Blue and BlueCross BlueShield WNY* members faced with serious and progressive illness. Individuals may also choose to pay privately for Pathways services. Improved quality of life is our number one goal. Make a secure on-line referral now to the Pathways Palliative Care Program or call us at (716) 304-1214.
* Some BCBS WNY groups may be excluded
Individuals with a serious illness or health problem may benefit from palliative care. Palliative care is the total care of individuals with serious, often chronic illness. It emphasizes relief from pain and other distressing symptoms, integrates the physical, psychological, and spiritual aspects of patient care. Care is provided by an interdisciplinary team to patients living with a chronic, often progressive illness and their families.
The palliative care team works in partnership with the patient's physician to coordinate and case manage care at no additional costs to eligible patients. Palliative care does not replace primary treatment; it works together with the primary treatment individuals may be receiving to address their disease or illness. It can be provided at the same time as curative treatment. The goal is to prevent and ease suffering, reduce hospitalizations and trips to the ER, all while improving quality of life.
Palliative care from Pathways can ease symptoms and assist in dealing with:
- Breathing problems
- Depression and exhaustion
- Loss of appetite and nausea
- Pain and other symptoms
- Sleeping problems or fatigue
- Spiritual and emotional issues
The Pathways program can also help with:
- Education about disease/illness and decision making
- Coping strategies
- Coordination of health care and navigating the medical system
- Advance care planning and planning for the future
- Access to community support services
- Support for family members
Pathways services from experts in the field provide relief from distressing symptoms and can also help patients deal with side effects of medical treatments.
Pathways Eligibility Requirements
Independent Health Medicare Advantage, Univera or qualified BlueCross BlueShield WNY members* facing serious, progressive illness including, but not limited to
the following conditions may be eligible. Individuals may also choose to pay privately for Pathways services.
- Cancer, whether or not the patient is undergoing active treatment with radiation or chemotherapy
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Progressive Neurological Disorders
- Advanced Alzheimer's disease or other dementia
- Repeated hospitalizations or emergency room visits
*Eligibility will be determined on referral. Private-pay option is also available to qualified individuals.